All children and adolescents attending the CDU receive a comprehensive evaluation and then enter a structured therapeutic program. During the academic year, the CDU partners with the New York City Board of Education to provide education for students through the public High School PS186X located on the unit. Students attend class daily and are often eligible to earn school credits while attending the CDU. In addition, during the 6-week summer program in July and August, the CDU provides educational support and tutoring.
Adolescents at the CDU can expect:
- Daily academic classes with personalized tutoring
- Short-term individual and group psychotherapy
- Social skills training
- Recreational and art therapy
- Neurospychological testing when indicated
- Medication treatment when indicated
- Discharge planning for outpatient treatment and assistance with school placement
All assessment and treatment services offered at the CDU are free of charge.
If you would like to learn more about the services provided at the Children's Day Unit, please contact Mara Eilenberg, LCSW at 646-774-5766.